[X4U] Re: Re: Leopard Issues - Some Responses (Stroller)

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Wed Dec 5 08:57:25 PST 2007

Stroller-

Usually, I agree with your postings, especially the ones that involve
elbow-bending. But you're wrong here.

Apple changed the interface behavior between the two releases.
They must have done this, because it affects every browser I
throw at it. Even old Netscape acts differently under 10.5 than it
did on earlier releases, and Netscape hasn't changed in years.

Don't bother reminding me that if something is left unspecified,
it isn't guaranteed not to change. Browser behavior leads to
habits that have to be changed. In the general scheme of things,
not a big deal, but also it's not clearly necessary.

You define "correct behavior". Huh? Domain guessing, as I
understood it, simply added "www" and ".com" to each incomplete
url, before the net even saw that. Incidentally, the option to
use domain guessing is an explicit choice in Netscape's prefs
(under a different name). (At one time, Eugene would break in
here and tell us what was indeed correct.)

As far as man is concerned, my point was that man is a superb
ref manual and a lousy textbook. I don't have time to parse
the explanations of the two commands until I understand them.
Maybe when I retire.

I'd post the results of dig if I thought it would help answer my
questions, but dig deals with DNS results. I accept the answers
about the DNS results and how Verizon gets involved.

As you say, between releases Apple may choose to respond
differently to the error messages, and this is exactly my point.
As I now understand it, one of two things happened when the
browser saw an incomplete url. Either it a) recognized the url as
incomplete and immediately fixed it, or b) submitted the
incomplete url to the router, and when it failed, fixed the
url. I had thought (a) was what happened, but maybe (b) was;
either way, the browser now never fixes the url but
keeps trying for a valid result. Why do you
sit back and tell me this is the master's decision and I should
just relax and enjoy it?