[X4U] ISPs, DSL, dhcp vs. PPPoE, and VOIP

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Wed Dec 5 17:20:23 PST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 7:50 PM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> <snip> Would I be able to send and
> receive FAX transmissions on the VOIP "virtual" line? <snip>
>
> Jim Robertson

JIm: I'm only going to address one of your questions.

As far as sending faxes over a VOIP telephone line, I am able to do
this using a Vonage service, but the VOIP runs over a fast 10 Mbps
cable highspeed internet service via Cox. I was not having much
success sending faxes with the initial service, which I believe
provided only 1.5 Mbps. The problem, I believe, was the upload speed,
which was a maximum of 256 Kbps. Also, if there was any serious
downloading taking place on any computer on the network, the VOIP
service degraded seriously and faxes would fail.

If you get one line with DSL and a second line with VOIP, both from
ATT, it would be important to ensure that the two services are
running separately and that you in fact are not getting the VOIP
service using the DSL on the first line.

Given everything, my advice would be to see if there's a way to test
the fax on an ATT VOIP line before paying for it.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Carruthers Communications           Tel: 520-625-1913
292 N. Camino del Vate, Green Valley, AZ 85614
www.carruthers.com                  e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com