[X4U] What is private>var>vm>swapfile?

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Wed Dec 5 17:57:49 PST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 20:49, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> I'm using WhatSize to help me clean out my hard drive. I notice an
> invisible folder on the HD called "private" that is 2.3 GB in size.
> The main culprit inside is a folder called "var" which in turn
> contains the folder "vm" which holds a bunch of files titled
> "swapfile#" Can someone tell me what these folders are for? Do they
> need to be that big?

They're virtual memory files. All unix based operating systems use
them and they get created when needed; with more being created over
time. When you reboot the old ones get deleted. This is one of the
reasons you need to leave free space on your boot drive. The size
starts with a 64 MB one but they get progressively bigger. There will
also be a sleepimage file in the same folder . . . it gets created
whenever the machine goes to sleep and is the same size as however
much installed RAM you have.