[X4U] Leopard Issues

H Huff hhlists at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 6 18:48:45 PST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007, at 9:27 AM, John Douglass - User wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Site_Finder
>
> Note the "See Also" section regarding site redirects and ISP
> (Comcast, Earthink, etc.).
> Now google "Verizon DNS site redirect" -- and well, you'll get lots
> of interesting
> information -- here is a good one:
>
> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/11/verizon_search.html
>
> Note the "opt out" procedure in the article.
>
> Sorry for all the external references but it is worth the reading
> if you are interested
> in what is really happening.

Certainly does seem to explain exactly what's happening.  The truly
troubling thing is, if they can get away with this sort of hijacking
and call it a feature, who knows what enterprising ISPs will come up
with next.

Maybe someday soon, we'll type in the address of our favorite news
source and the page that comes up will say,

"Wouldn't you really rather go to the wonderful XYZ news?  If so just
click here.  Or if you still want to go to your previous choice,
please wait 60 seconds while we prepare to redirect you..."