[X4U] Leopard Issues

John Douglass douglass at cs.clemson.edu
Tue Dec 11 07:36:09 PST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 7:36 PM, Mac McIlvain wrote:

> One nice advantage over the Windoze world was being able to enter a
> one-word domain name, have the browser add the "www." prefix and
> ".com" suffix and then just be there. I realize that if you want an
> "org" or "edu" site or multiple words in the domain name that is not
> in your Bookmarks, you have to type the whole address. That's
> reasonable, because domain "guessing" has to involve rules or
> guidelines. But in my personal browsing experience, the need to
> override the browser's choice is rare.
>
> I'm a huge Apple fan. However, from what I've experienced it's
> difficult to believe that Leopard hasn't changed from prior 10.4.x
> behavior. Not that this is such a big inconvenience, but I miss the
> simplicity of the former browsing technique. It was very Apple-like.
> If it wasn't broke, why did they fix it?

And for those of us whose DNS servers aren't broken/performing bad it
works as it always has.
Of course Firefox on windows had domain guessing, this is a browser
feature not an OS
feature.

I'm still curious regarding the difference in behavior.  In the Apple
Discussion forums there are
individuals running 10.4.11 posting the same issue -- are you running
10.4.11?