[X4U] Installing Leopard on an older Mac

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Dec 14 11:21:15 PST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007, at 9:06 AM, K. Jerry Smith wrote:

> I have a friend who attempted to install Leopard on an 800 Ghz
> TiBook. Officially, the highest version of the OS that can be
> installed on that model is 10.4.11. He called Apple, and was told
> Leopard would install on it, though, and purchased the new OS.
>
> No joy.

Leopard will indeed install on a slower than 866MHz Mac. The way to do
it is to start the TiBook in Target Mode while connected to a faster
than 866MHz machine. Start the faster Mac with the Leopard install DVD
inserted and select the TiBook hard drive as the installation
destination. It will do the installation without any hesitation.

Once the installation is complete, shut down both machines and then
restart them without the firewire connection. The TiBook will now have
Leopard installed and you will need to set your configuration
preferences.

This has worked on my 733MHz G4 and I have read that it also works on
the Cube model G4s but they will run slower than a normal Leopard
install because of the slower processor speed.

Good luck.