[X4U] Installing Leopard on an older Mac

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Sun Dec 16 08:53:58 PST 2007

I have installed Leopard on a few Macs,

G4 933 tower,
G4 1GHz iMac, Intel 2.4 GHz iMac, (Runs OK on just 512 megs of RAM)
Intel 2.4 GHz Mac Book Pro,
Intel 2.66 GHz Mac Pro.

My non-quantitated feeling is that all of these systems are more
responsive under Leopard.

I suspect your mostly interested in the G4's which seem much more
snappier than they were under Tiger. (10.4.11 in all cases)

I had only minor issues with the upgrades. The G4 933 was the most
trouble, but I think that is do to it having been upgraded from
Panther then to Tiger and then on to Leopard.

So far I have been very pleased with Leopard's usability.. Leopard's
networking is so much smoother. Having the ability to easily connect
with the Windows' XP systems in my office is really great. In general
the feature set in Leopard has added a lot of good things and taken
away very few features that I liked in Tiger. Perhaps the worst loss
is the way folders work in the Dock. Loosing the hierarchical view
into folders is a pain but I have learned how to compensate for the
loss. ;)

I would not go back to Tiger willingly!

HTH,

Jens