[X4U] Who loves ya Digi Camera? [TAN]

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Dec 17 23:56:32 PST 2007

At 7:52 AM +1100 12/18/07, Brett Conlon wrote:
>Thanks for your thoughts Shawn & Zane.
>
>Unfortunately it really does need to be compact - for this purchase.
>As I mentioned, I purchased a DV camera a few Chrissy's back
>(Panasonic GS-400) which takes 4mpix shots but the shots ain't so
>great and it's quite a bulky beast. After hefting that big lug of a
>thing around in the black camera bag all over the place for a few
>years, my wife simply wants something small and compact that will
>take better shots than the DV camera. I completely understand that
>and want to oblige her. I was also hoping to maximise the purchase
>and get something that might suit us both (of course not
>*completely* suit _me_ but gives me *something* kinda decent I can
>work with until I can get a decent SLR).

I can understand the need for being compact, while my primary camera
is a Nikon D70, I occasionally use the 3MP little Kodak (4x optical)
that we had before the D70.  For an early Christmas present this year
I bought my wife a little Nikon Coolpix (3x optical, 6MP) that is a
lot smaller than the Kodak.

I think your best bet will be to research which "pocket camera's"
offer Macro options.  I've seen a couple with "clip-on" Macro
Adapters.  I don't know how well this will work though.  With a
digital SLR camera, macro lens, tripod and shutter release you have
major control of depth of field and camera stability for Macro
Photography.  I use the Nikon for everything from Macro shots, up to
Trains.  Believe it or not I think you'll be happier with a "pocket
camera" than your wife will be.  You had better not show her the
Nikon R1 flash kit for Nikon SLR camera's and Macro photography. :^)

I don't know if it's possible, but if you can, try to find one that
will last.  If you're seriously thinking about a Digital SLR in the
long term, you'll still want to be able to use the "pocket camera".
Sometimes it just isn't practical to lug a SLR camera around, and
we've been at least one place that allowed our Kodak, but wouldn't
allow our Nikon (we knew in advance).

Zane