[X4U] Who loves ya Digi Camera? [TAN]

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Dec 19 07:57:06 PST 2007

At 1:18 PM -0800 12/18/07, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>At 2:20 PM -0500 12/18/07, Neil wrote:
>>On Dec 18, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know how memory card size effects write speeds?
>>>Actually I'll ask in camera mailing list I'm on.
>>Please let us know what you find out.
>
>The answer I received is that the speed of the card is what will
>effect the speed of the writes.  The size will effect how long it
>takes to read the card in. (big surprise there :^)

Interestingly enough after I sent this email yesterday there was a
bit of an argument over the question on the Photography list I'm on,
and there really doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus as to if it
effects the speed or not.

A couple points seem to be FAT16 (2GB and below) vs. FAT32 (4GB and
above) makes 2GB and smaller slightly faster.  Also it is a good idea
to format the card in your camera each time you put it back in, and
to avoid deleting pictures on the card (prevent fragmentation).  Now
how important the last two are I have no idea, though the bit about
not deleting does make sense.

Zane