[X4U] How can I access MIME messages?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Dec 20 02:13:00 PST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> I received three e-mails containing photos I need with the
> following message.
>
> "Partial message, part 1 of 3
> To read this message, select all of the parts of the message and
> select the Message --> MIME --> Combine Messages menu item."
>
> There's no MIME item under the Message menu in Mail. Is there
> anything I can do in Mail 2.1 to access the photos?

This is an option in Outlook Express (not sure about Outlook). It was
kinda useful in dial-up days to split a 3meg MP3 into 5 x 600kb (for
example) so that the last parts would fit in the recipient's inbox
after their pop3 client had deleted the first parts, and to save you
having to resend the whole lot if uploading the email failed.

I meant to add: you could probably get the attchment by finding the
appropriate files for the messages in the Library/Mail/ directory,
opening them in a text editor, copying & pasting the text of the
attachments into a single file & running the `uudecode` utility on
them at the command-line. It's probably easier to ask your
correspondent to resend the attachment, changing his mail preferences
first. There's shouldn't be any necessity these days to slip email
messages into multiple parts (unless he's still on dial-up, in which
case you'll have to find another compromise).

Stroller.