[X4U] Aperature vs. Lightroom & Photoshop CS

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Dec 23 20:05:31 PST 2007

At 4:03 PM -0700 12/21/07, Jens Selvig wrote:
>When I first puchased my D70, I did a lot of jpg images because I
>didn't have any easy way to open the RAW formated files. I really
>regret that now! The shutter machanism in my D70 died at about
>154,000 images and I had to have it replaced. I think actually I got
>more exposures out of the camera than would be expected before a
>major failure.

I'm really learning that.  Of course it wasn't until the last few
weeks that I really understood *why* you want to shoot in RAW, I was
looking at it from the standpoint of sharpness, not correcting the
shots after you take them.

I shot the first of three Christmas events this year in RAW
yesterday, and then tweaked them in Adobe Lightroom.  I'm really
quite pleased with the results as the pictures look far more uniform,
and the colours are more accurate.

>The quality of the camera has  some affect on the image, but the
>quality of the photographer makes the image.

This is an area I'm working on.  While I've used SLR cameras for 25
to 30 years, I've made noticeable improvements in the last two months.

I am really leaning towards Adobe Lightroom.  It seems to have a far
more logical layout.  Somehow the only thing going for Apple Aperture
is its ability to import iPhoto libraries, as I really do not get it,
and it seems to have far less capabilities.

I'm still trying to get a grasp on Adobe Lightroom's organizational
capabilities though.  How well does it handle collections numbering
in the 10's of thousands of images?  Right now I believe my iPhoto
collection is about 15-20 thousand images.

Zane