[X4U] mail.app "loses" password

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Feb 1 09:19:52 PST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:05 AM, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2007, at 5:54 PM, nk wrote:
>
>> it happens to me at least once/week, to one or more of my
>> accounts: I'll see a password dialogue box, and that account goes
>> gray. mail.app tells me it doesn't have the password, or has the
>> wrong password, etc.
>>
>> quitting mail.app usually fixes the problem, but why does this
>> arise in the first place?
>
> In my case, I see that occasionally when one of my mail servers has
> a glitch. It usually rectifies a few minutes later.

Right. Whenever the Mail app can't connect to a mail server (the
server didn't respond fast enough or any of a number of reasons) you
get the password dialog. I don't know why that is the case, but
there's not much I can do about it (I did file a bug report).

Instead of quitting Mail, I just cancel the dialog box, go to the
menu Mailbox->Online Status... and tell it to take that mailbox back
online. Unless there's still come kind of connection problem, that
fixes it.

-Mike