[X4U] XP <> Vista benchmarks

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Feb 1 12:11:26 PST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 1:36 PM, nk wrote:

> OK...well, the short version of what the thread is about is that
> vista is a steaming pile.
>
> sorry, folks, but I got NO tolerance when the most powerful company
> in the universe can even make their own product better.

As I've often said in defense of the Mac, when it comes to the
tradeoff between making the software run fast, and making the
software faster to use, always choose faster to use. IOW most of the
time the slowest component of the system is the person sitting in the
chair. Spending CPU cycles to make a better interface to speed up the
user is a good tradeoff.

Having said that, a 5-10% slowdown for a version 1 wouldn't be too
bad, but there are some major slowdowns in those tests.

On another note, am I the only person that hates looking through
reams of benchmarks where they don't always label the X-axis? Its not
always immediately obvious if the longer bar means its faster or slower.

-Mike