[X4U] Problems booting into User

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Feb 1 12:52:29 PST 2007

On 01/29/07,  Mark Des Cotes <mark at astroprinting.com> wrote:

> A co-worker is having a problem with his OS 10.4.8 Mac. When he
> reboots, the system only goes so far then stops. Everything goes
> smoothly until his blue desktop background shows up and a little icon
> for Spotlight appears in the top right of the screen. The Spotlight
> icon appears in a small 2cm white menu bar but the rest of the menu
> bar isn't there. I did successfully boot into the login window by
> holding the shift key. If I choose his account I get the same
> problem, but if I choose one of the other two accounts they boot
> fine. Once booted into one of the other accounts I can then
> successfully switch to his account by using Fast User Switching. If
> we switch to his account this way everything seems to work fine. Any
> ideas what might be causing this or what I can try?

Since there's no problem booting into the other accounts, then the problem's
some conflict within his user account. Probably the simplest thing to do is to
login into one of the other accounts (one which is an admin account), turn off
FUS, delete his account, selecting the save user data option which will store
his current user folder into a disk image and save it to a Deleted Users folder
within Users, recreate the account using the same username/password combo, log
into it, mount the saved disk image, and slowly transfer the data and settings,
logging out and back in until the conflict is identified, and eventually
deleting the saved image.