[X4U] FireWire enclosure for SATA drive (Was: Migrate without Firewire link.)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Feb 2 08:49:09 PST 2007

I've theorized these used in combination as a backup device.  Hook it
up long enough to backup your hard drive, and then carefully put the
drive back into its packaging.  Obviously it would work best if
you're familiar with ESD protection, but then I've one computer that
doesn't even have a case and I jumpstart with a screwdriver.

A word of warning however, not all of these will work as well as you
might like.  I bought one for just IDE drives (it doesn't include
SATA support) at Fry's a few months ago, it doesn't like most of my
drives (I think it's the Western Digital drives it has issues with).
However, the power supply works great for running one of the drives
in my Wiebetech enclosure (which has a dead powersupply, thanks, no
doubt, to the wonders of Chinese manufacturing).

Zane