[X4U] XP <> Vista benchmarks [A]

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Feb 3 07:40:54 PST 2007

On 2 Feb 2007, at 19:22, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> At 3:37 PM +0000, 2/2/07, Stroller wrote:
>
>> On 2 Feb 2007, at 03:13, Thomas W Noel wrote:
>>> Synopsis is ... Huge decrement for apps and games that depend on
>>> the OpenGL framework ...
>>
>> I read this as "pending driver updates from ATi & nVidia".
>
> The problem is the overhead that MS has mandated to ensure copy
> protection for HD that all hardware mfgs must incur including the
> graphics cards guys.

OpenGL has nothing to do with content protection - as I read the
article Microsoft has dropped support for this library in Vista, in
favour of their own (proprietary) DirectX.

   "There are some programs that showed deeply disappointing
performance.
   Unreal Tournament 2004 and the professional graphics benchmarking
   suite SPECviewperf 9.03 suffered heavily from the lack of support
   for the OpenGL graphics library under Windows Vista. This is
something
   we expected, and we clearly advise against replacing Windows XP
   with Windows Vista if you need to run professional graphics
   applications. Both ATI and Nvidia will offer OpenGL support in
   upcoming driver releases, but it remains to be seen if and how other
   graphics vendors or Microsoft may offer it."
   <http://tinyurl.com/2uysns>

Stroller.