[X4U] Recycling Mac's

Jim Scott jescott3 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 17:47:24 PST 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Rod Duncan wrote:

> Guess the moral of the story is don't take "no" for an answer when
> it comes to recycling our old Mac's. The old cliche... someone's
> garbage is another's treasure still holds.
>
> Rod

I've found new homes for more than 500 older Macs in the last 4.5
years of my retirement. I've placed hundreds of 520-5400 all-in-ones
everywhere from K-3 classrooms to needy kid's homes, and the like.
Developmentally challenged kids up into their early teens seem to be
especially comfortable using these older Macs. I find the Macs, clean/
fix them, then load a fresh copy of the appropriate OS and a special
software pack of about 80 freeware/shareware/abandonware learning
games and programs from the early '90s I've developed. The feedback I
get from the new owners of these repurposed Macs is more rewarding
than any paychecks I ever got. Plus it's nice to know that when these
Macs do go to their final resting place, they will have been
thoroughly and completely used up, not just determined to be obsolete
for today's mainstream tasks.

Jim