[X4U] Recycling Mac's

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Feb 12 06:27:00 PST 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 7:36 AM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> Am I the only one who finds this unnerving?

Find a design that works and stick with it. IOW, if it aint broke,
don't fix it. What would worry me is if they were updating things now
and then, which only adds to the possibility of bugs entering the
system. Another way to look at it is there is no benefit to "upgrading".

As an example, I have two PowerMac 8100''s in the lab that acquire
experimental data, which they display on even older Apple 13" color
displays. They will remain there until they die or I retire. A bigger
monitor would be of no use. A faster computer can't collect data any
faster -its limited by experimental conditions. They've literally
been is service for years without a single crash because they only
need to do one "trick" and all those bugs have been worked out.

-Mike