[X4U] Delayed cursor response on MacBook

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Wed Feb 14 08:44:08 PST 2007

Jim-

On Feb 13, 2007,  you wrote (after describing your problem):

> I realize that the MacBook has a slower processor, but this seems
> like strange place for this to show up. Might it have something to do
> with using the Intel processor with  older PowerPC applications?

Though I don't have anything to add to posters regarding your
cursor problem, I do want to correct an apparent misunderstanding.

The slowest MacBook has a faster processor than the fastest
PowerBook. The first MacBook ran at 1.83 GHz; the G4 PowerBooks
of 2005 had a clock speed of no greater than 1.67 GHz.

The memory on those PBs was running at 333 GHz; the MacBooks'
memory speeds along at twice that speed.

Rosetta slows down emulated applications, but the emulated speed
is often still faster than the app's performance on the fastest PB. In
my experience, Office 2004 applications (Excel and Word) are
significantly faster on my 2 GHz MB than they are on my 1.5 GHz
PB. Other posters have made similar reports.

If your "older PowerPC" apps include Photoshop and some others, your
experience may very well be different, but for my applications mix of
PowerPC applications, the Intel MacBook is never slower than the PB and
often noticeably faster.

Jon