[X4U] LaCie Hard drive troubles

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Thu Feb 22 12:01:42 PST 2007

On 2/22/07 1:05 PM, faramineux wrote:

> I have 5 or 6 LaCie Firewire external drives. From 500 to 125gb. They
> have been OK until one of them is now giving me some grief. Suddenly,
> out of the blue it won't be accepted: The dreaded message arrives -
> Do you want to initialize this drive? I called LaCie and they showed
> me how to repartition the drive: Choose one partition and called the
> drive by a name I have never used before. It worked for a week. Then
> same problem. Called LaCie and the tech person told me that I should
> NOT use the drive in a daisy chain, etc. He says the data must be
> corrupted but the drive is sound. Needless I no longer trust that
> drive. What do you make of it? By the way this is a drive that has
> 800 and 400 Firewire outlets. I use the latest version of Mac OSX. TIA

This is almost exactly my experience with external Maxtor drives. I don't
know what to make of it, other than back it up if you don't trust it, and
use it for short-term or transfer purposes, and reformat every now and then.

If it stops recognizing the mount point, and you have data on there you
need/want, you can use something like Prosoft Engineering's DataRescue,
which is a champ at recognizing data on a non-mounting disk.