[X4U] powermac g4/533

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Tue Feb 27 06:04:12 PST 2007

At 2:05 PM +0100 27/2/07, alexandre wrote:
>hi
>
>i'm looking to set up a file server at my
>home/office and have found a powermac g4 533 mhz
>selling for 60¤ (chf 100.-). i'm planning on
>installing 2 (and later 2 more) 500gb drives in
>it.
>
>mactracker software says this model has 4
>internal 3,5" ATA bays, but that it does NOT
>have "large drive support".
>
>is this true? is there any way to go around this limitation?

It is true. I have no experience of this, but it
appears that you can get a PCI card from Sonnet
and then update the G4's firmware to enable large
drive support. You have to boot into OS 9 to do
the firmware update. See this page:
<http://www.sonnettech.com/downloads/largedrive_sw.html>

On this page they show the Tempo ATA133 PCI card
that supports four hard drives.
<http://www.sonnettech.com/product/pci_adptrs.html>
I can't find that card listed in their price
list, but you could call them about it.

Then on this page they go into detail. It looks
like you need custom cables as well, to connect
the four drives.
<http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_ata133.html>

Anyway,  it looks like you should be able to put
together a solution, though the solution will
cost more than you paid for the computer!   :-0

Daly