[X4U] powermac g4/533

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Feb 28 18:17:26 PST 2007

On 02/27/07, alexandre <mac at kapellos.com> wrote:

> i'm looking to set up a file server at my home/office and have found
> a powermac g4 533 mhz selling for 60Ä (chf 100.-). i'm planning on
> installing 2 (and later 2 more) 500gb drives in it.
>
> mactracker software says this model has 4 internal 3,5" ATA bays, but
> that it does NOT have "large drive support".
>
> is this true? is there any way to go around this limitation?

The simplest is to get a machine that supports large drives. Although, it might
cost more, it'll work with no additional hardware or software purchases.

>From <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86178>

"The BootROM of Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors), Xserve, Power Mac G5, and
any other model introduced after June 2002 can accommodate these larger drives.
For additional details on the volume and file size limitations under OS X"