[X4U] Keyboard language mapping changing "on its own"

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Jan 3 08:26:27 PST 2007

>From time to time I'll discover that shortcut keystroke combinations don't
work, or that typing produces character substitutions. This seems to happen
most often in Photoshop CS2, and because I don't do much text input in
Photoshop, it tends to go undetected by me while I'm working in Photoshop.

I THINK this happens only on one of my Macs, but it's the sort of thing I've
just grumbled and fixed when I discover it, so I cannot be certain.

Typically the substitution is from English to French or Italian-Pro.

I used to suspect my mischievous son, but he doesn't know Applescript and
he's now thousands of miles away, so that's not a likely explanation. My
lead guess is that there's some keystroke combination that invokes the
keyboard mapping change that also lives in Photoshop.

Has anyone else encountered such behavior AND figured out what was causing
it?

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson