[X4U] Simple Excel Question

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Thu Jan 4 08:45:30 PST 2007

At 06:12 -0800 1/4/07, Jim Robertson wrote:
>I've created a simple 3-column list in Excel; First column cells contain a short text string (bug, interface issue, feature request); second column contains paragraph text describing the issue; third column contains column text describing progress towards resolution of the issue.
>
>I've used the list wizard to generate the worksheet, with titles at the top of each column that I've designated to be repeated on each page. The problem is that if the paragraph text in the last row on a page overlaps the bottom page margin, Excel doesn't simply move the "offending" row to the next page; it keeps that row limited to one line of text and the text in the offending row is displayed as hashmarks (##############) filling the cell.

The world really needs a column-oriented text editor. Spreadsheets are best when arithmetic is involved. But. . .

I have had problems with the list wizard. The biggest being that insert and delete of whole rows seems to get lost. Sorting is strange.  My suggestion. Don't use it. You can repeat certain rows at the tops of pages in page-setup. You can also split the window and freeze panes to show such things while you're working in a window.

Excel once had a limit of 256 characters in a cell and I'm willing to believe that changing that left a printing problem with keeping cells contents on a page. Insert-Page Break manually is a way to handle it.

Anyone remember when MacDraw was the page layout program of choice? Some text blocks aligned at their tops would do this job nicely. There must be page layout software that replaces it and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

These guise are really helpful

--
-->  The greenhouse effect due to water vapor has never been fully modeled and weather forecasting remains irreducibly complex. It is clear that global warming is the act of an Intelligent Designer. <--