[X4U] Entourage to Mail, considering migration

Phillip Deackes phillip at madgestevens.net
Thu Jan 11 23:59:25 PST 2007

eleventhvolume wrote:
> Does anybody know of an online guide to migrating from Entourage to Mail?
> I've used the former for years, but am attracted by the number of add-ons
> and tweaks now available for the latter, also the potential for
> synchronisation across devices a la the new iPhone - being in the UK, I
> guess I have at least 9 months to make the move. I've tried the File >
> Import in Mail, but it ends up very messy - I have multiple accounts, rules,
> subfolders, archives etc in Entourage. Any pointers gratefully received.

I can't help with migration, because I use IMAP rather than POP. Most
email providers do IMAP (including .Mac) which basically means you can
use any email client (Mail, Entourage, Thunderbird, Outlook etc..)
interchangeably without worrying about syncing anything. You can also
use a portable device to check mail on the go without concerning
yourself with any technical or syncing issues.

IMAP means that all your mail is stored remotely on your email
provider's server. Delete a message in one app/machine and all other
machines are in perfect sync. All IMAP clients will cache messages
locally if desired (usually the default) so you can still access mail
when you are not connected to the net.

If anyone ants to try IMAP for free and their provider doesn't offer it,
have a look at www.fastmail.fm who offer free IMAP accounts.

Just something you might like to think about for the future to avoid
similar issues. It is nice to use different email apps as the mood takes
you!

--
Phillip Deackes