[X4U] Sources of PPC Mac drying up

Tim Collier timjcollier at mac.com
Mon Jan 15 01:20:14 PST 2007

On Jan 14, 2007, at 4:59 PM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Zane H. Healy said:
>
>> I'm only still attached to one Classic App, and that is ClarisDraw.
>> ... I want.  At least I've managed to break
>> myself of using Adobe PageMill 3.0, though I still prefer it to Adobe
>> GoLive CS.
>

> If you ever intend to upgrade to a new Macintosh, I suggest that you
> might want to wean yourself from those legacy applications now,
> while you
> can still find applications that can read your old files.  A few years
> ...ly, a bear to learn to use), I just got
> Apple's iWeb (it came with my new iMac) and I am blown away at how
> nice
> (and easy!) it is for your average user.
>
> I think that a little pain now will save you from a ton a pain in a
> few
> years, Zane, if you ever aspire to get a new Macintosh.
>

> Randy B. Singer

This is just my personal observation and not intended to offend anybody:
You know how we Mac users have always been different and we often
used to refer to Windows Users as "sheep".  Well, of late, especially
since the release of OS X and now with the release of the Intel based
Macs, we Mac users have developed our own subgroup.  I'd call them
"ostriches".
Even though OS X was released WAY back in 2001 or so, we still have a
core group who refuses to even try it.  They insist that OS 9 is the
only OS that they would even consider using.  We've also developed an
even newer subgroup who say that they can only use a G3-5 to run
their applications and won't even consider buying a new Intel based Mac.
These people have their heads buried in the sand.  Ostriches!  The OS
and the Mac are moving on and they're still stuck in the past.  I've
tried to reason with these people, on this list and other lists, but
you get nowhere.  They are convinced that their way of doing things
has "always worked in the past" and think that there is no
possibility that anything new like 'iLife 06' could in anyway be
helpful.  They have to use their Clarisworks for email.  They can't
use any other browser but Internet Explorer 5 for the Mac.  "How can
you even suggest that I should use anything other than Appleworks?"
These are the answers you get.  So, don't waste your time.  Let time
march on and eventually the future will come and smack them in the
face.  Once day they'll boot up their beige G3 and it will die.
There won't be any to replace it.  So, they'll buy a G4 or G5 off one
of the 'swap lists' or ebay......only to find that OS 9 won't boot
natively on it.  They'll go into a panic.....take a pill and then
realize "Hey OS X isn't that bad, I can't believe I never tried it
before."
So, as helpful as you're trying to be, don't waste your time, it's
like talking to the wall.  I converted somebody on the LEM G3-5
list.......she was a die hard OS 9 user.  To her there was just
NOTHING that could possibly compare.  An opportunity came up and I
had an extra Quicksilver 867.  I loaded OS X on it ONLY and sent it
to her.  She loved the computer and DID put her old OS 9 disk in the
second drive bay and continued to use it.  Then strangely enough, you
started seeing posts about how she is now using OS X more and
more....even buying software for it.  I was amazed.  Of course not
all of us can do that for the "ostriches" out there, but I think it
illustrates the point that I'm trying to make here.

Tim