[X4U] Remote control options

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Mon Jan 15 13:21:53 PST 2007

VNC. There are servers and clients for just about every operating
system known to man.

The only drawback is that it is not encrypted like Timbuktu
is . . .there is one version that includes SSL encryption but it's
not free. It's from RealVNC . . .they have both free unencrypted and
pay encrypted versions.

If you're comfortable with establishing SSH tunnels on your own with
terminal . . .then you can do it for free. Run a VNC server on the
iMac at home, set your home firewall to port forward SSH traffic to
this machine. Set up an encrypted tunnel on your laptop/work machine
so that some random local port gets forwarded to the right port on
the iMac at home . . .then simply VNC to the correct port on the
local machine.

Chicken of the VNC is the most popular Mac client.

The terminal command to issue on your laptop/work machine/whatever is
similar to:

ssh -L 5901:127.0.0.1:5900 IP_at_your_house

where IP_at_your_house is the WAN IP you get from your cable/dsl/FIOS/
whatever provider.

If you have a static IP then you're golden . . .if you do not have a
static IP then you can use DynDNS.org to manage the DNS entries for a
domain you setup and the DynDNS client built into most current
firewalls or the one you can get for MacOS X to update DynDNS's DNS
servers. In that case you would replace the IP above with the domain
name.

Set up the home iMac to listen for VNC connections. Under Tiger you
can make sure that Apple Remote Desktop Client is installed . . .then
enable it in Sharing pref pane and set the access privs so that VNC
clients can connect. The problem with this is that I never figured
out how to make it work encrypted . . .so ended up using a freeware
VNC server (OSXVNC) instead.

Finally, ensure that your firewall port forwards the right port to
your iMac.

Then . . .

1. establish the tunnel from your laptop/work Mac.
2. VNC to the local port on the laptop/work Mac.
3. The local port gets port forwarded to your firewall via SSH, then
forwarded to the waiting iMac VNC server and voila, you're in.

You can also do this from a WIndows machine . . .or a Solaris machine
or whatever.

I found a site on the web that included a QT movie about how to do
this from a Windows box and automate
everything . . .howto.diveintomark.org. While this movie is Windows
specific . . .he's a Mac guy and it includes how to make it work from
a Mac as well.

I ended up making a .term document that issues the right command to
establish the tunnel . . .a simple double click and it is
setup . . .then VNC to local port and it works.