[X4U] Sources of PPC Mac drying up

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Jan 15 13:52:01 PST 2007

Zane H. Healy said:

>I felt that PageMill was an excellent balance between a really basic
>solution and the likes of GoLive and Dreamweaver.  In other words a good
>solution for the average person.

Apparently folks aren't aware that there are several "low-end" WYSIWYG
Web site creation solutions for the Macintosh.  Most of them are really
nice.  Nicer than PageMill, which I recall as being ridiculously quirky.
 Here are a few to check out:

NVU (free and open source)
http://www.nvu.com/
Nvu is based on Gecko, the layout engine inside Mozilla (so you don't
need to get Mozilla, Sea Monkey, etc. just for the Web site creation
capability); it's a super-fast, very reliable, standards conformant
engine maintained on a daily basis by a wide community of developers. It
supports  XML, CSS and JavaScript.

RAPIDWEAVER LITE/PRO ($35)
RapidWeaver  was specifically designed with ease-of-use in mind, making
it great for the average user and pro web designers rushing to meet a
deadline.  RapidWeaver  will enable you to create a fully working web
site in minutes. No knowledge of HTML is required.   RapidWeaver
includes over 20 customizable web designs.
<http://store2.esellerate.net/store/ProductInfo.aspx?StoreIDC=STR1403417896
&SkuIDC=SKU3598944496&pc=>

FREEWAY EXPRESS ($79), a version of the pro-level WYSIWYG program for
ordinary users, with a simplified interface and many web site templates.
http://www.softpress.com/en/freeway/express

SITE STUDIO (FREE; discontinued but still available )  from Dot Software
is a web-authoring program based on themes. With a single window
interface, the program includes plug-ins for an image gallery, a weblog,
a WYSIWYG editor, an HTML editor, an external file tool, and a hyperlink
tool. It also offers two-layer web sites, one-click FTP and .Mac
uploading, and drag-and-drop arrangement of pages.
http://www.dotsw.com/sitestudio/
You  can get free Registration Name and Serial Number for it here:
<http://store2.esellerate.net/store/catalog.aspx?s=STR841072449&pc=>

Apple's iWeb (part of the $79 iLife)
http://www.apple.com/ilife/iweb/

Randy B. Singer

Co-Author of:
The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)

OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html