[X4U] Most advanced Video Codec WMV?

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 08:16:37 PST 2007

On 1/17/07 7:04 AM, Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca> wrote:

> My boss tells me WMV is the ³best video codec² out there. I don¹t really
> believe him but I was wondering about people¹s opinions on this. How good is
> QT vs WMV?

QuickTime is not a codec, but H.264 is, and it is one of many codecs that
QuickTime supports. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/h264/

I would argue that H.264 is better than the latest Windows Media Video
codec. One reason is that both next-generation DVD formats (HD DVD and
Blu-ray) include the H.264/AVC High Profile as a mandatory player feature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

I find Windows Media Player for OS X (which was discontinued several
versions ago) to be pretty awful, but WMV files typically play fine on a
modern Windows machine. Conversely, QuickTime Player isn't as good on
Windows as it is on Mac OS X.

--
Eddie Hargreaves
Stockton, CA