[X4U] Most advanced Video Codec WMV?

Neil_ Pollack lists at mac.com
Wed Jan 17 17:43:24 PST 2007

On Wednesday, January 17, 2007, at 08:03PM, "Eddie Hargreaves" <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:

>I just watched a 480x204 resolution movie trailer from Apple's web site and
>it didn't use more than 39% of the processor in my G4 iBook....

That surprises me.  I drop frames on my G5/2x2 when I watch video encoded in h.264.  This happens a lot with HD (720p and better) but it even happens some with lower resolution content.  MPEG2 plays much more smoothly.  1080p content encoded in h.264 is totally unplayable on my system.  It takes at least a minute or two to change each frame.

I don't think there are any easy answers to the question of what codec to use on the web.  Well, at least I don't know the answer.