[X4U] Most advanced Video Codec WMV?

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 18 09:05:19 PST 2007

On 1/18/07 6:12 AM, Stroller <macmonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On 18 Jan 2007, at 00:59, Eddie Hargreaves wrote:
>
>> On 1/17/07 4:00 PM, Neil_ Pollack <lists at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, but if you are encoding the file for the web, keep in mind  that there
>>> are still a lot of people running G3 and G4 class computers out  there.
>>> H.265 is very CPU intensive.
>>
>> I just watched a 480x204 resolution movie trailer from Apple's web  site and
>> it didn't use more than 39% of the processor in my G4 iBook. Also,  it's
>> still H.264, not H.265 (yet)
>
> This is EXTREMELY low resolution by current video standards, however.
> An NTSC DVD has 480 vertical lines (so 583 x 480 at 16:9), a PAL 576
> (1024 x 576); these contain c 4x as many pixels as the H.264 trailer
> you tested.

Yes, but Neil was talking about encoding a file for the web, not for
creating DVDs or watching the files on a giant screen.

> Compare the 480x204 trailer with a fully hi-def one. The one you
> tested contains 97,920 pixels per frame; a 1920 x 1080 movie contains
> 2,073,600 pixels per frame - about 20x as many!!

Yes, I know. But G3 and G4 computers are specifically mentioned as not
capable of playing back HD trailers, so there's no argument there. Neil was
talking about how G3 and G4 computers can't play back H.264 encoded movies
very well, and that's not true, at least for my G4.

--
Eddie Hargreaves