[X4U] Most advanced Video Codec WMV?

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Thu Jan 18 10:55:07 PST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 7:41 AM, keith_w wrote:

> Richard Gilmore wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> My boss tells me WMV is the “best video codec” out there. I don’t
>> really believe him but I was wondering about people’s opinions on
>> this. How good is QT vs WMV?
>> Thanx
>> Richard
>
> May I make a suggestion?
> The first time you use an acronym in correspondence, take the extra
> 7 seconds to spell it out.
> I know what QT is ~ presuming you meant QuickTime, but I don't know
> what WMV is.
> Aha! Wikipedia tells me it's probably Windows Media Video.
> I use Windows Media Player for Mac OSX, v.9, and it does a
> marvelous job.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/
> alldownloads.aspx
>
> Thanks,
>
> keith whaley

*
Keith:  Greetings!

For System X, QuickTime (QT) and Windows Media Video (WMV) together
will handle a great majority of the video bits and pieces that I
download.  However, there is always some oddball stuff that refuses
to open.  Often, I can open these files with other video players:

    1.  VLC (I don't know what the VLC stands for):  http://
www.videolan.org/support

    2.  EasyMovie -- http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/
macosx/30456

    3.  VMP Min (Viewpoint Media Player):  http://www.viewpoint.com/
technologies/viewpoint-media-player.shtml

    4.  MPlayer -- http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

    5.  djo Player (I don't know what the djo stands for -- it
appears to be the French version of the
         above MPlayer.)  -- http://www.logicielmac.com/logiciel/Djo%
20Player.html

...and finally, there's RealPlayer --

    6.  RealPlayer -- http://www.realplayerweb.com/co/real/
realplayerweb/?sid=M2AG0002bGS

All of the above are free (I think!) and available through
VersionTracker.

    http://www.versiontracker.com

earle
*