[X4U] Migrate without Firewire link.

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 19 10:37:54 PST 2007

My current iMac G5's Firewire ports died about 9 months ago and is
unusable. I expect a new Intel iMac to arrive today. All the
instructions for the Migration Assistant seem to assume that Firewire
is present and healthy.

Both machine will have OS 10.4.8. Can anyone point me to a place
where I can find migration advice for the best way to do this. Since
I'm moving from a G5 machine to an Intel machine, it doesn't seem
like using one of the HD cloners would be a good way to go. The Apple
support pages haven't been very useful for this.

Short of moving selected apps, reinstalling others, all by hand which
appears to me to be a multi-hour job,  Is there an easier way to go
about it?

Thanks,
John