[X4U] Re: hijacking threads

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sat Jan 20 09:40:39 PST 2007

On 1/19/07 9:46 PM, nk wrote:

> what are you, sitting on a mountain top in tibet playing a flute?
>
> jeepers.
>
> nk
>
>> On Friday, January 19, 2007, at 07:05PM, "Linda" <xpressobean at mac.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> ...try to change the world and get everyone to properly Thread
>> their messages, or you can adapt to what people actually DO, and group
>> by
>> Subject. :-)

No, not at all.

I'm just saying: Making a request of people (who don't know they're doing
something "wrong") to change their behavior, without explaining what that
behavior is or why you want it changed, rarely results in a change of
behavior.

If your subject was truly self-explanatory, if the concept of threading was
widely understood by any other than long-time members and geeks (said
lovingly -- I myself am one of those geeks), you'd never ever have to post a
reminder, would you? Of course not.

So: instead of telling people to simply DO something, you may get better
results if you explain WHY and then HOW so that the people who are
displeasing you can recognize their behavior and change it to suit you.

I'm not playing a flute (flute?? what the heck does that even MEAN??), I
simply stopped trying to change this particular behavior years ago because
it comes up every couple months and it really was easier for me to just let
it go and move on... :-)