[X4U] Migrate without Firewire link.

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 20 16:08:52 PST 2007

Your point is well taken. As a matter of fact the enclosures are for
IDE/ATA drives.

This whole migration issue  got too complicated and frought with
potential problems. And I'm very antsy to get my hands on the new
computer.  I've gone ahead and used the manual back up of user files
as described in the Apple support articles.

	I just "restored" the files to the new computer. That's done. Now I
just have to figure out which software can be dragged over, which
needs to be downloaded again, and which has to be reloaded from the
original disks, and which ones have to have the new computer
authorized in order to make it work. <Sigh> Oh for the good old days
when it was easy to move apps.

> One thing that nobody has mentioned is the hard drive in the G5 is
> going to be an SATA drive.  I hope the firewire enclosure supports
> SATA and isn't ATA.

> And try to remember that bottom posting makes a message flow a lot
> better and you don't have to scroll up and down to see what was
> said first.

Actually, Tim,  I hate it when people use bottom posting. It's
annoying when I have to scroll thru a lot of stuff just to get to
what ever comments are there... frequently I find something inane
like "I agree with you".  I don't think you need to "worry" about
having the message flow nicely. When dealing with a popular subject
like "Hikacking the thread" I don't need to be repeatedly reminded
what all the previous posts may have said. I'd rather see the comment
first... and then if I don't understand it (and need to) I can always
go read other posts to get the context.

Personally I'd much rather read posts  that the author has liberally
used scissors to remove extraneous materials.

Cheers,
John