[X4U] Most advanced Video Codec WMV?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 21 05:08:01 PST 2007

On 19 Jan 2007, at 19:58, B. Kuestner wrote:
> By the way, you also have that for MP3: You can tell iTunes to
> encode MP3 and invest more or less effort in the task. So setting
> it to 128 kb/s VBR will give you different results if you tell
> iTunes to be quick about it or analyze the audio material much
> longer to get the best result. But even then the LAME encoder still
> does better at the same bitrate than iTunes' built-in encoder as
> far as MP3 is concerned, even if you put iTunes to the highest
> encoding effort/quality.

Hi there,

I'm not doubting you, but curious. What are your grounds for this
statement? Have you done a blind listening-test of LAME v iTunes
encoding yourself, or is this widely documented on the web? Or is it
simply that posters to the LAME mailing list regularly make the same
assertion?

Whilst I was aware that in theory different encoders could produce
different qualities of audio I guess I'd somewhat expect it to apply
more to image or movie compression. Now you have me all paranoid that
I shouldn't be ripping my songs in iTunes, even though I'm unlikely
to be able to hear the difference myself!

Stroller.