[X4U] Migrate without Firewire link.

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Mon Jan 22 08:41:36 PST 2007

On 1/22/07 9:14 AM, Neil wrote:

> How come nobody suggested just using the Ethernet connection?  Can
> Migration Assistant use that?

It would be interesting for someone to try and let us know!

Setup Assistant/Migration Assistant looks for a "dumb" disk on your desktop
-- it talks you through mounting the other computer as a disk using Target
Disk mode (hence, a USB external disk might work too). You are prompted to
do this during registration, so I don't know if you can get "out" of that
window and into the regular OS and direct the new Mac to look for the old
Mac on the network. At the point in the registration that Migration
Assistant kicks in, you may not have set up your Network Prefs already --
you'd be bringing them over with Mig. Asst. -- and the second disk would be
a booted computer, not a "dumb" data disk. I imagine that there would be
prefs that might not be able to be successfully copied because they are "in
use" if the "old" computer is booted rather than just "on", but it's
speculation on my part, thinking out loud. Someone who has tried it will
know better than I.

Here's Apple's doc on the subject; they mention Ethernet in the same breath
with burning CDs for transfer of data TO a different computer, rather than
onto your new computer.

Good luck!