[X4U] MP3 in iTunes vs. LAME

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 03:01:05 PST 2007

>From: "B. Kuestner" <kuestner at macnews.de>
<snip>
>Compared to the impact of the speakers/headphones, the amp, the
>studio recording the player and the cables used, the codec impact is
>in my experience negligible once you cross a certain level (160 VBR
>for MP3 and 128 for AAC). It's there, probably, yes, but who cares
>when the wind or car noises obscure much, much more and the headphone
>is weak in the low frequencies.

The term 'HiFi' has degraded over the years. Modern 'HiFi' kit
wouldn't even be considered by audiophiles from the days when it was
actually difficult technically to get quality sound. A bottom end
cutoff of 60Hz is acceptable now. I remember systems where you could
feel the bass that was too low in pitch to hear. The speaker current
required would melt normal speaker cable now.

David

>I got back to the position that I
>just want to enjoy my music and not spoil the enjoyment through nit-
>picking.

What it's all about at the end of the day.

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk