[X4U] Flushed his toilet

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Fri Jan 26 02:22:38 PST 2007

Stroller wrote:

> On 25 Jan 2007, at 19:48, Al Grappone wrote:
>> On Jan 25, 2007, at 4:50, Stroller wrote:
>>
>>> You must be a white guy.

>> WHY????????

> Because it's about as relevant to the point as whether or not the
> computer that shut down was a Mac or a PC.
>
> It's irrelevant and it's divisive.

Right on, both points well taken.

> But it's ok. "It's just a joke". "Sense of humour, anyone?"

Well, you're right on that one too.
One serious problem with attempting subtle bits of humor online is,
there's a LOT you two don't know about each other going in.
When you can see a guy's mug, his eyes and his body language, a person
can pretty much know whether or not the OTHER guy will take this 'joke'
as a joke!
Or, whether he's got a chip going in...

A lot of potentially confrontational instances can be nipped in the bud
immediately when you see the other person's face. Lots of clues on the
face. In the muscle structure of the face and upper body, the hands.

Can't do *any* of that online. You have to wait until the person taking
umbrage decides whether or not s/he's really ticked off, and get an
electronic reply. Fraught with problems.

> One poster suggested "how many PC users do you think are on this mailing
> list", but if that makes it ok then you'll find yourself taking that
> smug & supercilious attitude with you elsewhere.
>
> I'm sorry. I'm just sick and fucking tired of Mac users - not everyone
> here, but particularly on this list - making like Macs are God's gift
> and Mac-users God's chosen people.

Well now gee Stoller, it IS a Mac list, isn't it!
You should expect loyal and dedicated Mac owners here.
And, like Texans (and all others of their ilk) the defensive response is
trigger quick.

> "Black and white people regularly get in small digs at each other."

Yeah, we do, but not strangers online. THAT's touchy business...
Racial divisiveness is a whole lot worse than whether you own a Mac or
PC....

> Stroller.

We gotta ease up a bit here, folks... I"m certain nobody brought a slur
to the party, it just happened and the misunderstandings flew!

keith whaley