[X4U] Re: Timbuktu

Neil D Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Tue Jul 10 09:42:23 PDT 2007

6.03 still works fine under 10.4.10 . . . on both PPC and Intel based
Macs. I haven't been willing to pay for an upgrade so far; so am using
Vineserver (VNC) and Chicken of the VNC for remote control of machines at
home. The passwords aren't encrypted; but it's all inside my firewall so
no big deal there.

I did leave Timbuktu set up on one machine so I can connect from the road
then VNC around inside the firewall; but am working with another couple of
secure but free methods.

First . . .I have tried VNC over SSH . . . basically creating an ssh
tunnel from my laptop to the VNC port at home . . . then just connecting
to the port on localhost on the laptop. That way everything that leaves is
encrypted.

Second . . . the new service proviced by logmein.com (a secure, web based
remote control mechanism) appears to work pretty nicely so far.

--
There are three kinds of stress . . .your basic nuclear stress, cooking
stress, and A$$h0le stress. The key to relating them is Jello.

neil