[X4U] OT:Net Neutrality: R.I.P.

nk netkat at comcast.net
Tue Jul 10 11:39:53 PDT 2007

well, I believe that will be a function of the country in question.
we know that some countries have pretty draconian laws (and
punishments) for things we consider to be birthrights here.

I would suspect that some countries will leave things as they are, and
that others will pass laws in favor of the corporations.

However:

(and this is a big however). If US corporations own and control the
servers which do the "heavy lifting" on the internet, then it won't
matter what other countries allow; they will receive the same dribbles
which corporate america decides to allow thru as we will.

I know that the web was set up to enable re-routing around portions
taken out (as in a nuclear war scenario) but if you want to surf Bob's
Fishing Lures on a part of the net which is dominated by a large
corporation who wants to squash Bob, well...you and he would be S.O.L.

nk