[X4U] Clock problem

Thomas W Noel tnoel at mac.com
Sat Jul 14 09:54:01 PDT 2007

On Jul 13, 2007, at 11:51 PM, Ronald Steinke wrote:

> On 13 Jul, 2007, at 12:20 PM, Thomas Noel wrote:
>
>> Cannot reset to correct in Date and Time with check in Set date &
>> time automatically. Cannot choose another time zone, and no cities
>> are in the drop-down list of closest cities. MoBo battery is fresh.
>
> Have you attempted to remove the check in the "set time and date
> automatically" box and then reset to the correct time?
>
> When the drive was formatted and the OS installed, was an incorrect
> time zone selected in error and not seen and corrected? During the
> installation process, you are asked to enter your time zone, if you
> do not enter your correct zone, you get stuck with whatever zone
> was highlighted on the list at the time of the installation
> configuration. That becomes your default "automatic" time zone and
> it will remain until you deselect the automatic choice for that drive.

Yes, I tried resetting the time manually with the check removed, but
the error would return when the check was restored.  I need the auto
setting to synchronize all machines to the same time server.

The system on this drive has been in use for quite some time (thru
10.4.3-10.4.10 upgrades). Problem is new.

I believe your assumption of immutability of default time zone is
wrong. I purchase laptops and configure them with all West Coast
settings, then reset time zone to desired destination, including
check of auto function, before shipping to end client, and no such
problems are observed.

I still don't know where the preference for time zone gets stored,
but the problem must have been a corrupted file (perhaps the
preference pane itself?). The problem was solved by running the
ComboUpdater 10.4.10 to that drive.

Thanks to the list as always.

Tom