[X4U] OT: Harry Potter stumbles on Windows XP

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Jul 16 08:10:10 PDT 2007

At 12:11 PM +0100 7/16/07, Stroller wrote:
>Since you say this is an older game it sounds like it might be
>depending upon the PC's clock frequency for the timing. The faster
>clock speeds of modern computers might well cause such a speed up.
>You don't say how old your wife's laptop is, but have you tried this
>on a PC contemporary with the game's manufacture? (e.g. a PIII
>500mhz). Since it doesn't work on your wife's PC the problem is
>clearly not unique to your Mac & is unsuitable for this list.

I agree that the original questions are totally off-topic for this
list, however, I'd also like to point out that *NO* software written
to run on a PC in the last 20 years should be tied to the CPU speed.
Game manufacturers tended to learn the error of their ways once
something faster than a 4.77Mhz 8088 was available.  The only game
I've really had issues with was the original F-16 Flying Falcon game.

This of course isn't to say that certain games won't have issues
running on a faster machine.  Or that certain games won't be
slower/easier to play on slower systems.

As someone that typically only plays turn based strategy, or "Real
Time Strategy" games any more, I've found that increased CPU speed
translates to the game running better, and more enjoyable gameplay.

		Zane