[X4U] Mysterious iPhoto 6 help please [2]

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Jul 17 06:06:25 PDT 2007

On 17 Jul 2007, at 06:56, Germain M. wrote:
> Yesterday, I added 28 RAW photos to iPhoto 6. Happy me, I like th
> app very much. A minute later, the program added 28 JPEGs without
> my consentment in the "Modified" folders. I didn't do anything to
> the 28 photos but look at them in full view mode. Oh yes I did work
> one one single file. Still I find that iPhoto adds copies to the
> "Modified" folders like whenever it feels to do so. Do someone
> knows what's happening here?

(continued)

I think in your case the reason for these copies being made is that
you imported the files in RAW format. You stated that iPhoto created
the "modified" files as jpegs, which are a format iPhoto can view and
modify. You can't crop a RAW photo as such - only create a bitmap
copy of a RAW file and then crop that - so I think iPhoto is
importing the images into its "native" format of jpegs so that you
can view them within iPhoto and (in the future) edit them (if you wish).

Aperture may be better for managing RAW files, I think, as Aperture
considers RAW files to be its native format. Aperture also stores
jpeg copies of the RAW files it has imported, however, it consider
these "previews" rather than its modified copies. When you crop in
Aperture - or change the colour tone - you don't actually modify the
image you just store a set of crop dimensions or colour corrections
_to be applied to_ that image. Changes are applied to the jpeg
preview that you're viewing in the editing window but it's only when
you go to print or export the picture that they're applied to a fresh
copy of the RAW file (the RAW file itself being retained unchanged)
at full-pixel resultion. In this way Aperture is considered
"lossless" photo editing for the sorts of photographic enthusiasts
who are keen on using RAW files.

Stroller.