[X4U] No ListMom? [NOISE]

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Tue Jul 17 21:14:14 PDT 2007

OK, so really, who's hand is in this sock puppet???  ;-D

Coj

Eric Prentice <listma at themacintoshguy.com>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
18/07/07 12:19 PM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [X4U] No ListMom?

Not exactly no listmom.... More of a dysfunctional emotionally
detached listmom.

Back in the late 90s when I created lists I had time to dig into them
and be an attentive listmom. The lists and my website were great and
they really helped feed my fledgling Mac consulting business.

Then came the big decision, do I feed my family by doing consulting
and the web site, or do I move to buying and selling stuff. I made
the decision to move to the buying and selling side of things and
opened Dr. Bott LLC. Turns out, it was a wise decision because the
combination of the dotcom crash and Steve Jobs coming back to Apple
eliminated much of my income from the web site and from consulting (a
huge portion of my business was helping people figure out what to
buy. Steve made it deal simple and people didn't need my help like
they did when Apple had dozens of models not to mention the clones.)

So today I spend my days running Dr. Bott LLC and that leaves little
room for the lists. I've chosen to let them manage themselves and
only jump in if things get real ugly. I think it is really great that
most of them continue to thrive after years of "self management".

So yes, I exist but not in the classic uber controlling way that many
would appreciate.

Just this week I got back in to the email accounts. (Anyone have the
issue we do where X Server will occasionally munge user passwords in
the opendirectory server?)

I have dreams and ideas for the lists, but for now we'll let them
continue as is. I did manage to remove the ebay stuff sig! ;-)

Eric Prentice
Disfunctional listmom
CEO, Dr. Bott LLC