[X4U] RAM Memory - What's the max?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jul 21 04:53:58 PDT 2007

On 21 Jul 2007, at 05:16, Ed Gould wrote:
> I was in my doctors office today and I brought reading material
> (yea I know) a MACZONE catalog. I was looking through the server
> offerings and was struck that none of the MACS (in the catalog)
> offered anything about 32G (max ram). The one or 2 INTEL server
> machines offered 128G max ram (although most were 64G).
>
> That got me to wonder as to why Apple doesn't seem to offer 128G
> (at least) max ram ?

I think it's a limitation of the o/s - I didn't think OS X 10.4 could
currently address more than 16gig, so I'm surprised to see Macs
offered with 32gig. Perhaps 10.4's memory space was enlarged when
they released the version for the MacPro?

In any case, there are many other options of o/s for generic Intel
PCs not designed as Macs. Linux, the BSDs & Solaris spring to mind -
I'm sure the latter of these, at least, can address huge memory spaces.

Stroller