[X4U] ceasles spinning disk

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Jul 25 15:35:30 PDT 2007

On Jul 25, 2007, at 11:21 AM, Stroller wrote:

> I have found - not wanting to kick off any flamewars, but this is
> my experience - that disk fragmentaton can make a HUGE difference
> on systems which are running low on drive space. You can get a
> version of iDefrag which boots from CD and I have in the past found
> the results to be very noticeable.

I agree.

In fact, I mention it on my Web site:

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

I suggest that you run all of the routine maintenance on my Web site
and see if things get better.

Another option:

Run Activity Monitor, and check for percentage of CPU used, and see
what is running that is causing a slowdown. "mds" and "mdimport" are
Spotlight processes. If they are what is causing the slowdown,
Spotlight probably has a corrupted database.   If that is the
problem, let me know and I'll tell you how to easily fix this.

Randy B. Singer