[X4U] Un-cooperative iTunes

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 26 09:25:56 PDT 2007

On 26 Jul 2007, at 15:40, faramineux wrote:

> I just bought a soundtrack album in the store. The files are
> in .m4p. I want the real thing .aiff so I can play them on my
> stereo system. I am trying to convert them but the error message
> keeps coming up: (-42024). Any idea? TIA

If you want to burn them on to a CD to play in a regular CD player
then I think you need to put them all in a single playlist and from
the File menu choose "Burn Playlist to Disk". Before doing so ensure
that iTunes > Preferemces > Advanced > Burning > Disk Format is set
to "Audio CD".

I assume that by "the store" you're referring to The iTunes Store
(tm). For the purposes of clarity, could I ask you to refer to that
as "the iTunes store", rather than just "the store". I went to the
store & bought a CD; I went to the store & bought bread; I've run out
of cigarettes so I'd better run to the store before it closes.

A regular CD which you buy in the store (a regular CD which you buy
in the supermarket) does not contain .aiff files. If you buy a copy
of "Confessions on a Dance Floor" on physical CD from an actual store
and put it in your Mac and the tracks appear to be .aiff files then
this is actually the operating system abstracting the contents for
you - if you drag & drop the .aiff file onto your desktop then the
track is "ripped" to .aiff on the fly. A CD actually contains a
single digital stream of bits in a spiral from hub to rim; were you
to save a bunch of .aiff files onto a CD-R then that CD-R would
contain a filesystem as well as those files, rendering it unreadable
on a home CD player.

Stroller.