[X4U] Airport Extreme 802.11g with ADSL 1/2

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Fri Jun 1 19:15:37 PDT 2007

Thanks Stroller and Tim for your feedback!

Cheers,

Coj

Tim Collier <timjcollier at mac.com>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
02/06/07 03:01 AM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [X4U] Airport Extreme 802.11g with ADSL 1/2

On Jun 1, 2007, at 7:34 AM, Stroller wrote:

> On 1 Jun 2007, at 07:59, Brett Conlon wrote:
>> Finally trying to make the plunge from dialup to ADSL and was
>> looking at
>> plans for ADSL1 and ADSL2. I have the Airport Extreme base station
>> and
>> will connect through that and was wondering if it might be a
>> bottleneck
>> for ADSL2 and therefore would be a waste of the extra money ADSL2
>> costs
>> over ADSL1?
>
> I doubt it'll be an bottleneck.
>
> Airport Extreme is Apple's name for 802.11g, which has speeds of up
> to 54meg. There is some overhead to this so that real speed is c
> 25meg, but absolute top speed for ADSL2 is about the same (22meg?).
>
> Most likely situation is that you're a couple of miles from the
> telephone exchange & get 8meg or so, you're computer is at the
> other end of the house & gets 12meg or so and your ISP's network is
> the bottleneck at 6meg or so.
>
> Stroller.
I totally agree, I have DSL from BellSouth (now AT&T) and I have one
(actually 2) of the new 802.11n Airport Extreme Base Stations and a
second one that I have set to broadcast in the b/g range to serve the
other Airport Enabled computers that don't support the new n
protocol.  I get a transfer rate of about 8 mb/sec (mostly 4-6).
There has never been any noticeable slowdown in transfer rates even
with 3 computers accessing the net at the same time.  The new n
protocol is a true blessing, transfer is noticeably faster than on
the g enabled cards.
--
Tim Collier
MacBook Pro 2.33 gig