[X4U] G3 Last Ship Date?

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Jun 14 13:36:34 PDT 2007

On Jun 14, 2007, at 3:02 PM, nk wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>> I just noticed that www.osnews.com is reporting that support for
>> G3 based
>> systems will be dropped from 10.5.  This seems a little odd to me,
>> when was
>> the last ship date for G3 based systems?  If this is in fact true,
>> then I
>> think the last G3 models will be the quickest Mac's to have
>> support dropped
>> ever.
>>

> Support for G4-based macs is prbly not long for this world,
> either....maybe Leopard will be it?

There was a major change between the G3 and G4 with the addition of
the Velocity Engine. I don't know that there was as much of a change
going from G4->G5 as far as a whole class of instructions being added/
disappearing. So as long as Apple is supporting PPC, I don't know
what the hardware limitation would be in the G4 systems that would
necessitate it being dropped but not the G5.

-Mike